Ready for your next challenge?
We’re looking for a front end developer to join our team.
Currently going from strength to strength, with new clients and growing existing ones, we are looking to hire two new front end developers.
- a front end developer looking for a new opportunity?
- looking to work in an agency that builds SASS and marketplaces from scratch and helps them grow over the years?
- happy to work in a small team, organised in pods made of backend, frontend, design and project management?
- keen to develop a sense of ownership in your projects and to help our clients fulfil their potential?
A little bit about us
Founded in 2011, CookiesHQ is a growing software development consultancy in Bristol, UK. Our team consists of back end and front end developers, a UI designer, three project managers, a head of marketing as well as the two founders.
Since 2011 we’ve grown organically by treating our staff and client with the highest respect, openness and standards. This is how we’ve built a strong customer base who have been growing with us for many years.
Early on, we decided to offer everyone working at CookiesHQ the opportunity to work from any location they choose, as a one-off or on a regular basis, whether it’s the office, home, their favourite coffee shop or a different country.
As a result, we now have a team that is geographically spread but well equipped to collaborate.
We’re very keen on self-development and work-life balance, so you will get dedicated self-improvement time and won’t be asked or expected to work nights or weekends. Most people work from 9.30am to around 6pm and then catch some rest or enjoy time with their families.
How do we work?
We work on projects in ‘pods’, i.e. teams within the team. A pod is usually made of a project manager, a designer, a lead back-end developer and a lead front-end developer. Additional developers join the project if and when needed.
We usually work in sprints and tend not to split time between projects. In other words, most of the time, you will be working on one project at any one time to focus your efforts and avoid the cost of switching from one project to another too often.
We also give our team a great sense of ownership for each project as well as the opportunity to meet the clients, participate in the planning meetings and have a direct channel of communication if and when necessary (especially for more technical projects or for projects where we collaborate directly with the CTO of the client company). This allows you to understand the context of the projects that you work on and make rational decisions based on the business use cases.
For most projects, you will either work on a Ruby on Rails or WordPress environment. We use Ruby on Rails as our base to develop and scale products for most of our startups, and, sometimes, are doing consultative and performance work on large WordPress websites.
Here is a larger view of our stack:
- Ruby on Rails
- Vanilla JS
- Some node.js / EmberJS projects
- Heroku for a lot of our deployments
- Amazon S3 and Cloudfront
- Some Linode servers
- Capistrano and Ansible
A little bit about you and the role
We are looking for a mid-level frontend developer. Someone who can quickly grasp different types of projects, who can communicate well with team mates, face to face and remotely, is productive, reliable and pragmatic.
This role is a full-time role, based either in Bristol or remotely within a 2-hour timezone of the UK.
- Work with a full-stack development team to build a combined web/mobile app based on Ruby
- Follow best practices (test-driven development, continuous integration, refactoring and code standards)
Required skills and experience:
- at least 2 years of experience in programming
- good understanding of VanillaJS
- HTML5, CSS3 and responsive design
- CSS frameworks such as Bootstrap
- cloud computing platforms such as AWS
- Git, Github and Git flow
Salary and benefits:
- flexible working – core working hours are 9am to 5.30pm
- 25 days holidays + bank holidays
- pension scheme
- life insurance
- learning and personal development opportunities
- competitive salary
- 7% company’s profit redistribution scheme after your first year.
How to apply and what to expect
To apply, please send your CV and any relevant information to Nicolas, our CTO (email: email@example.com).
In your first email, please explain your current experience and why you would be a great addition to our team.
Following your email, we will contact you for a first interview, usually in the presence of Nic (CTO) and Nathalie (MD). Here we will talk about you, your background, your aspirations.
If you are successful, then we will then set a day where we will aim for you to pair with one of our developers. This will give us the opportunity to test your technical skills and you the ability to ask questions directly to the team.
After those two rounds, we should have a pretty good idea of whether or not you would be a good fit for our team, and we should be ready to give a final answer.