Ready for your next challenge?
We’re looking for a Ruby on Rails or full-stack developer.
Currently going from strength to strength, with new clients and growing existing ones, we are looking to hire new backend developers.
- a backend or full-stack developer looking for a new opportunity?
- looking to work in an agency that builds SaaS and marketplaces from scratch and helps them grow over the years?
- happy to work in a small team, organised in pods made of backend, frontend, design and project management?
- keen to develop a sense of ownership in your projects and to help our clients fulfil their potential?
A little bit about us
Founded in 2011, CookiesHQ is a growing software development consultancy in Bristol, UK. Our team consists of backend and frontend developers, a UI designer, two project managers, a head of marketing as well as the two founders.
Since 2011 we’ve grown organically by treating our staff and client with the highest respect, openness and standards. This is the main reason why our clients stay with us over multiple years.
Early on, we decided to offer everyone working at CookiesHQ the opportunity to work from any location they choose, as a one-off or on a regular basis, whether it’s the office, home, their favourite coffee shop or a different country.
As a result, we now have a team that is geographically spread but well equipped to collaborate.
We’re very keen on self-development and work-life balance, so you will get dedicated self-improvement time and won’t be asked or expected to work nights or weekends. Most people work from 9.30am to around 6pm and then catch some rest or enjoy time with their families.
How do we work?
We work on projects in ‘pods’, i.e. teams within the team. A pod is usually made of a project manager, a designer, a lead back-end developer and a lead front-end developer. Additional developers join the project if and when needed.
We usually work in sprints and tend not to split time between projects. In other words, most of the time, you will be working on one project at any one time to focus your efforts and avoid the cost of switching from one project to another too often.
We also give our team a great sense of ownership for each project as well as the opportunity to meet the clients, participate in the planning meetings and have a direct channel of communication if and when necessary (especially for more technical projects or for projects where we collaborate directly with the CTO of the client company). This allows you to understand the context of the projects that you work on and make rational decisions based on the business use cases.
Even if Ruby on Rails is the starting point of most of the applications we’ve worked on to date, we aim to take an unbiased approach to each new project and strive to recommend the best tool for the job to our clients.
Our tech stack is mostly made of:
- Ruby on Rails
- Vanilla JS
- Some node.js / EmberJS projects
- Heroku for a lot of our deployments
- Amazon S3 and Cloudfront
- Some Linode servers
- Capistrano and Ansible
A little bit about you and the role
We are looking for a mid-level Ruby on Rails backend or full-stack developer. Someone who can quickly grasp different types of projects, who can communicate well with team mates, face to face and remotely, is productive, reliable and pragmatic.
These roles are full-time roles, based either in Bristol or remotely within a 2-hour timezone of the UK.
- Write clean, tested, maintainable and efficient Ruby code
- Work with a full-stack development team to build a combined web/mobile app based on Ruby
- Follow best practices (test-driven development, continuous integration, refactoring and code standards)
Required skills and experience:
- Minimum 2 years of experience
- Ruby on Rails
- HTML5, CSS3 and responsive design
- CSS frameworks such as Bootstrap
- RSpec testing & continuous integration tools
- Cloud computing platforms such as AWS
- PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis
- Git, Github and Git flow
Salary and benefits:
- flexible working – core working hours are 9 am to 5.30 pm
- 25 days holidays + bank holidays
- pension scheme
- life insurance
- learning and personal development opportunities
- £25,000 to £35,000 per annum
- 7% company’s profit redistribution scheme after your first year.
How to apply and what to expect
To apply, please send your CV and any relevant information to Nicolas, our CTO (email: email@example.com).
In your first email, please explain your current experience and why you would be a great addition to our team.
Following your email, we will contact you for a first interview, usually in the presence of Nic (CTO) and Nathalie (MD). Here we will talk about you, your background, your aspirations.
If you are successful, then we will then set a day where we will aim for you to pair with one of our developers. This will give us the opportunity to test your technical skills and you the ability to ask questions directly to the team.
After those two rounds, we should have a pretty good idea of whether or not you would be a good fit for our team, and we should be ready to give a final answer.