This month marks 1 year since the Stornaway.io app was released to the world.
We met the team behind Stornaway.io back in 2020 and were immediately drawn in by their passion and vision for the app to radically simplify the process of interactive storytelling for video creators across the globe.
People’s creativity is only limited to the tools available to them. Traditionally, interactive film producers had to combine several tools that simply weren’t designed for them. The process was slow, technically complicated and of course, expensive.
An executive that worked on Black Mirror’s Bandersnatch said “If we’d known how difficult it was going to be, we might not have done it.” Even with Netflix a sized budget and all the showbiz resources that came with it, production was far from smooth sailing. This was a huge barrier for anyone looking to get into interactive film without a blockbuster budget.
Through Stornaway.io, the doors to interactive film production have been blown wide open. As the only end-to-end affordable solution of its kind, it’s been making waves in the industry since its launch in May 2020.
Thousands of people from over 120 countries have used Stornaway.io in its first year of life – businesses and teachers, agencies and charities alongside game developers and film & tv producers have been creating interactive films of all kinds using the unique storytelling tools and player.
You can see some of the great things people are making over on the Stornaway.io examples collection, including the feature-length thriller The Gallery.
We’re taking a look at all the exciting things that have happened over at Stornaway.io over the last 12 months…
- Founders Rupert Howe and Kate Dimbleby delivered a session for the 2020 Future of Film summit.
- A Little Hungover – one of the first interactive films made on the platform – premiered at Encounters Film Festival.
- Kate was shortlisted in the product innovation category of the Rise Awards 2020.
- Stornaway.io have secured further funding from a UK Innovation Grant.
- Both Southampton Solent University and American University’s School of Communication have partnered with Stornaway.io to introduce their students to interactive film production.
- We sat down with founders Kate Dimbleby and Ru Howe at the end of 2020 to talk about how Stornaway.io came to be and the journey from west-end theatres to a South West incubator.
- We’re adding new features and integrations regularly including YouTube Export which is currently in beta testing.
We can’t wait to see what the next 12 months has in store!
Are you looking for a technical partner for your startup? Let’s chat!